WANT TO BE A LAWYER? GENDER IMBALANCE BITES IN NZ LAW

Thinking of becoming a lawyer in NZ? Are you a woman? Don’t count on becoming a partner in a law firm any time soon — or even in your career at all!

Deborah Hollings, feminist and Auckland QC barrister reports in the latest NZ Law Society’s magainze that “women barristers are poorly represented in top legal appointments, despite increasing numbers in the profession”. While Dame Sian Elias holds the loftly position of Chief Justice, figures show few women following in her footsteps. WOMEN ARE HITTING A CONCRETE CEILING IN THEIR LEGAL CAREERS AND URGENT ACTION IS NEEDED TO REDRESS GENDER IMBALANCE AT SENIOR LEVELS OF THE JUDICIARY.

“There are 1319 barristers sole practising in NZ. Of those 36% are women. Including the most recent round of appointments, there are 78 MEN practising at the elite level as a Queen’s Counsel (QC) but only 11 WOMEN! Only 19% of partners in law firms are women.

Hollings go on to report: “there are few women involved in big appellate or commercial cases and if they are, they rarely have “speaking parts” and “are destined to be juniors for the rest of their lives”.

Change is slow in coming…”Part of the problem is the CULTURE OF THE BAR”. “Any professional group that for 700 years has comprised solely men, is bound to have inherited attitudes that may seem unwelcoming to some different entrants. Instances of stereotyping, prejudice, harrassment and “plain unfairness” did little credit lawyers who ghad such an influential role in society”.

UNFAIRNESS,UNEQUAL OPPORTUNITIES, STEREOTYPING AND DISCRIMINATION — BUT THIS IS THE LAW PROFESSION? DON’T THEY KNOW BETTER?

Want to know some of the recommendations to change this situation – or at least this report on the report www.stuff.co.nz/4185336a11.html

DO YOU EXPECT A CONCRETE CEILING IN THE CAREER YOU HAVE CHOSEN OR ARE CHOOSING?

– Jacqui

5 thoughts on “WANT TO BE A LAWYER? GENDER IMBALANCE BITES IN NZ LAW

1. moonjoo 213

yes but that’s not going to stop me lol Not just in law firms but in any other career as well, its just not right or fair that men are way more likely to get the same position over women. 78 to 11 is not even funny!

2. Ana

I think that those figures are absoloutely appalling but it is no surprise really in such a proffession (which i am studying!!ARRGGH)…but in saying so, it either turns you away or keeps you motivated.
    Those figures most definantly keep me motivated-i expect to hit a concrete wall, and i expect to make an imprint in that wall and leave a mark.

If those figures are ridiculous, i would have most def. been challenged having been a lawyer like my dear cousin back in the Islands were women are grossly discriminated against in positions of high status.

Stats like the ones in the article and many others shown in class about other careers are an incentive (though cheesy) to keep going-without pursueing the dream of gender equality well there wont be any change without a GREAT push and shove-from our end that is.

3. Michelle pol213

I completely agree, learning about these statistics only increases the drive to make a difference, women are breaking through the glass ceiling more and more often in individual cases, but the shift for recognition of women’s barriers in the public sector need to be highlighted even more throughout society. I think many people would simply agree that women today, in comparison to the past, are much better off and leave it at that. Learning about these statistics and their absolute relevance only proves that it’s not quite enough!
    I do expect to find a concrete ceiling in my future and also on my little path to getting there (teaching, English? at high school then uni! 🙂
    So yes it certainly does motivate me to keep on striving through and supporting others to do the same.

4. Iokapeta

i agree with all of the comments above me.. im part way through my law degree, and im well aware of the many concrete ceilings im bound to bump into, however, its part of life.. as much as we refuse to accept it, its a reality we need to deal with

im sure there are plenty of men who too do not make it as far as they wish, for example those with disabitlities, or those who do not fit the typical physical stereotypes..

its not fair that any of be subject to discrimination, but look at those who have made it.. we can do it too!! we can!!

my sister graduated from Auckland with her BA/LLB and now is very successful.. travelling and pursuing her dreams.. she inspired me, and gave me the “fight for what you want” attitude, she taught me never to let anyone or anything stop me from doing what i want..

from a family where maybe 3 or 4 ever, in our extended family had gone to university, she set the example, and there was no doubt that i would follow her lead to success,

and i know the journey doesnt end here!

5. jtrue Post author

Iokapeka makes a good point — its great and so important to have role models, trailblazers to inspire us, be they family members, friends, mentors or people we admire. Who inspires you to surmount sticky floors and concrete ceilings?