Bjork interviewed in UNCUT magazine, June 2007

In a recent article in music magazine UNCUT, Bjork reveals how having a daughter has made her connect with feminist issues:

“Having a little girl changed my perspective on everything. As a woman, you start thinking about the relationship between you and your mother, and your mother’s mother, and a gate opens up to the past and the future. My mother was pretty fierce about feminism and I reacted against that a bit. I felt that her generation had achieved a lot but now it was my turn to get on with it and not moan. Now I’m not so sure. I go to the toy shop and everything is pink, all the stories are about how the most important thing in the universe is for girls to find their prince. And I hate that”.

Isn’t it the case that our personal lives and day to day experiences are often what makes us think (and hopefully act!) politically? The personal is political indeed!

Tania

One thought on “Bjork interviewed in UNCUT magazine, June 2007

1. JoanneC (213)

Issnt it funny how girls were taught from young to like pink and dolls and to wait for prince charming, and boys were taught to be boys? I wonder what it would be like if it was reversed? or both genders had the SAME ‘training’ while they were young..

just wondering outloud..